Medical education at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford is characterized by direct faculty involvement in student training. The mission of the undergraduate educational program is the development of competent, compassionate physicians, fully capable of advanced training. In a stimulating learning environment that nurtures intellectual, professional and personal growth, the Rockford program focuses on:
- Mastery of the knowledge and skills common to all physicians.
- Internalization of professional attitudes and interpersonal skills for effective interaction with patients and their families, and with other members of the healthcare community.
- Awareness that the practice of medicine involves the comprehensive care of patients, rather than the treatment of disease.
- Development of problem-solving skills and habits of self-education.
- Formation of the ability to recognize, adapt to and influence changes in medicine, healthcare delivery and society.
Ambulatory care experience
Medical students gain immediate access to the continuity of patient care.
Our community-based medical education is enhanced by a full-time core faculty and a much larger number of community physicians who actively seek to include students in their activities and share their concerns for social and healthcare issues. Faculty and administration work closely with students, offering personal guidance and assistance.
Faculty members frequently offer students opportunities to become involved in basic and/or clinical research. Such projects may culminate in publication in professional journals. In recent years, several students have received national recognition for their work.
Students engage in various community projects, developing an informal network of service opportunities that complement their formal education. M2s are required to complete an Introduction to Community Medicine Project as part of their Pathophysiology of Medicine course.
The Graduation competencies are a unified set of objectives that span all four campuses. This link will redirect you to the main College of Medicine education pages.