The University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford held its 49th Annual Convocation Ceremony for the Class of 2023 on Friday, April 28, 2023, at the Coronado Theater in downtown Rockford, IL. Fifty-seven graduates participated in the ceremony. Alex S. Stagnaro-Green, MD, MHPE, MHA, regional dean at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford, and Mark I. Rosenblatt, MD, PhD, MBA, MHA, executive dean of the University of Illinois College of Medicine, provided opening remarks. Distinguished alumnus, Gary Fernando, was the alumni speaker and Reilly Wojciehowski, Class of 2023 graduate, provided the class remarks.
You can view the ceremony here.
Graduating medical students receive honors and awards
The College of Medicine Rockford recognized the following student honors at the 2023 Convocation Ceremony:
Graduation with Honors
Students who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement earn the distinction of Graduation with Honors. Honors graduates are selected College-wide based on academic performance throughout their four years of medical school. The Honors medallion represents the College’s founding goals of education, research, medical care and public service; the green ribbon is the color of the discipline of medicine.
Graduate honors were given to Omair Ali, Marc Altimari, Johnathan Beldin, Marley DeVoss, Katrina Dovalovsky, Adrianna Gorniak, Zach Hart, Aaron Hezeltine, Jeana Kim, Jessie Kirk, Alison McDonald, Paul Pecorin, Kovas Polikaitis, Kathryn Saulcy, Christopher Yao and Abbey Zacharski.
College of Medicine Rockford Student Awards
- James E. Rebel Award: Reilly Wojciehowski
- Dr. Assir Daniel DaSilva Scholarship: William Graft Jr.
- Dr. Gary Button Rural Primary Care Medicine Award: Reilly Wojciehowski
- Dr. Glenn D. Netto Humanitarian Award: Maria Isabel Van Gundy
University of Illinois College of Medicine Student Awards
- Adolph A. Rostenberg, Jr. Award in Dermatology: Naeva Bratina
- Craig E. Booher MD Community Health Scholarships: Jesseca Pirkle and Eric Stevens
- David Mortimer Olkon Award-Department of Neurology: Naeva Bratina
- David Mortimer Olkon Award-Department of Psychiatry: William Graft Jr.
- Dr. Arthur Rettig Award for Excellence: Rebecca Hezeltine
- Dr. Charles Spencer Williamson Award in Internal Medicine: Zachary Hart
- Dr. Errol and Rosemary Baptist Award for Excellence in Pediatrics: Kathryn Saulcy Baumgartner
- Dr. Robert H. Harner Award for Excellence in Cardiology: Katrina Soyangco
- Donald H. Wortmann Outstanding Student in Pediatrics Award: Aaron Hezeltine
- Excellence in Clinical Dermatology Award: Katrina Dovalovsky
- Excellence in Emergency Medicine Award: Emily Allison
- Excellence in Family Medicine: Maria Isabel Van Gundy
- Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology Award: Abbey Zacharski
- Granville A. Bennett Award: Adrianna Gorniak
- LP Johnson Family Physician Award: Reilly Wojciehowski
- Otto Saphir Memorial Scholarship: Ande Marchini
- Outstanding Performance on Surgery-Among Students Choosing a Surgical Career: Johnathan Beldin
- Outstanding Performance on Medicine: Katrina Dovalovsky
- Outstanding Performance on Surgery: Omair Ali
- Raymond Zbick Memorial Award in Anesthesiology: Nicolas Bonamici
- Tom Reeves Award: Zachary Hart
- UIC COMR Lillie and Seymour Green Distinguished Graduate Award: Zachary Hart
- Winnebago County Medical Society Award: Titus Hou