College of Medicine Rockford Scholarships
- College of Medicine Rockford Scholarship Fund-Established to provide financial support for students enrolled at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford. The scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of financial need.
- John A. & Idelle D. Segzda Scholarship-Established in 2004, in memory of John and Idelle Segzda of Freeport, Illinois, and made possible through the generosity of the Segzda family and The Scholarship is designed to be awarded to second-, third-, or fourth-year medical students at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford who are in good academic standing and can demonstrate financial need.
- Karl F. Bader, Jr. Scholarship-Available to current and incoming University of Illinois students, with preference given to students with a craniofacial anomaly. This scholarship is being offered to any University of Illinois student without regard to campus, GPA, or program of study.
- Major Thomas F. Koritz Memorial Scholarship-Established in memory of Dr. Thomas Koritz, a Class of 1979 College of Medicine Rockford graduate, who was killed in action in the Persian Gulf War. Application is open to students who complete a unique educational experience in Scotland, Ireland, the UK or any other country in which the primary language is English and an advanced healthcare system exists. The selection criteria will be based upon precognitive characteristics to reflect Dr. Koritz’s reputation as a compassionate physician and individual. Students will be asked to complete a post-visit presentation on their experience.
- Shirley Henley Philon Scholarship-Established by Mrs. Shirley Henley Philon of Rockford to provide scholarships for students enrolled at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford. Shirley was a long-time volunteer at the college, serving for over 10 years on the Dean’s Action Council. This scholarship is given to a M3 student in good standing, and will be selected on the basis of financial need and academic merit.
- Glenn Netto Humanitarian Scholarship –This scholarship is for a fourth-year medical student who is earning the MD degree at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford and is entering a primary care field (Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, or Psychiatry). The recipient shall be a compassionate and motivated individual who embodies the attributes Dr. Glenn Netto, who was an alumnus of UICOMR, felt were important in being a great physician: a community servant, a life-long learner, an excellent educator and a great listener.
- Assir Daniel Da Silva Award-This award is for M4 students who demonstrate outstanding qualities embodied by Dr. DaSilva, including being outgoing, dependable, knowledgeable, amicable, diligent and dedicated to medicine. Recipients shall possess strong intellectual curiosity, excellent rapport and sensitivity to the needs of patients, and a sense of humor. Finally, recipients shall appreciate diversity in people, place, cultures, races and other areas important of leading rich, fulfilling lives.
University of Illinois College of Medicine Scholarship Resources
In addition to College of Medicine Rockford scholarship opportunities, the University of Illinois College of Medicine Office of Student Financial Aid provides of list of institution-wide resources for scholarships and grants. To get more information, please visit: http://medicine.uic.edu/financial-aid/types-of-aid/#gift.
For more information about scholarships, please contact the Director of Academic Services at (815) 395-5704.