College students from any college who are pursuing a health profession and have completed at least their undergraduate sophomore year can apply to be a counselor for the Rural Health Careers Camp for High School Students.
Job Description of Rural Health Careers Camp Counselors
Camp Counselor, Rural Heath Careers Camp 2019, National Center for Rural Health Professions, University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford
Counselor Orientation: Sunday, June 23, 2019, beginning at 2 p.m.
Rural Health Careers Camp 2019: Monday, June 24 – Thursday, June 27, 2019
Camp Counselors will receive a stipend of $600 for their time and assistance with the camp. Camp Counselor Leaders will receive a stipend of $800 for assuming additional responsibilities under the direction of the Program Coordinator.
The Rural Health Careers Camp is a four-day, overnight educational program for rural high school students interested in learning about healthcare careers. The camp provides hands-on labs representing different health professions and is hosted on the Rockford University campus. Camp Counselors and Camp Counselor Leaders are needed to assist in the day-to-day operations of the program.
The camp counselors will assist in the overall day-to-day operations of the camp. Most importantly, their role is to ensure the care and well-being of the campers. Camp counselors need to assist campers to adjust to new situations, give encouragement and care about each camper as an individual. Camp counselors should:
- Provide participants with a safe and secure environment both physically and emotionally where they can participate in educational, recreational and social experiences.
- Offer opportunities to campers to have a better understanding and appreciation for the many careers related to health profession.
- Model positive personal life skills and values, including, but not limited to: Fairness, Caring, Good Citizenship, Trustworthiness, Respect and Responsibility.
- Provide opportunities for campers to learn and practice leadership, decision making and teamwork through group activities.
- Foster the development of positive relationships between campers and camp counselors, who serve as positive role models, teachers and mentors.
- Camp counselors may be asked to assume additional responsibilities during the course of the camp.
Two camp counselor leaders will assume the aforementioned responsibilities of camp counselors as well as additional responsibilities prior to, and during, the program. Camp counselor leaders will be asked to be available for up to two meetings in the week leading up to the camp. Required meetings will be held within the Rockford community and scheduled between the Program Coordinator and camp counselor leaders.
Camp Counselor Expectations
- Beginning Sunday, June 23 at 2:00 pm – Thursday, June 27 (afternoon), counselors and counselor leaders are required to reside at Rockford University in the assigned residence halls.
- Counselors will reside, overnight, in the Rockford University residence halls to supervise Rural Health Careers Camp participants.
- Appropriate clothing. Camp Counselors should never wear clothing that advertises drugs, alcohol, or inappropriate subjects or behavior.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed at any time from the Orientation until the conclusion of the camp on Thursday. Violation of this expectation is grounds for immediate dismissal.
- No drugs are allowed, except those being administered under doctors’ orders.
- No profanity or the use of foul language.
- Because this is a health careers camp, and counselors should be modeling healthy behaviors at all times; the use of tobacco is not permitted at any time during the camp.
- Have completed at least sophomore year of undergraduate studies
- Pursuing a health-related profession
- Energy and enthusiasm for educational activities
- Preference given to RAs or people with previous camp counselor experience
The full job description and application instructions are available under Student Opportunities at ncrhp.uic.edu. The application deadline for both Camp Counselor and Camp Counselor Leader positions is Sunday, March 3, 2019.
For More Information: