Rockford Campus Is Returning Champ
The Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau (RACVB) announced the 2019 Business is Blooming program winners who further the efforts of Forest City Beautiful and aim to enhance the Rockford region by beautifying their storefronts and entrances to their businesses. The UIC Health Sciences Campus-Rockford won the award last year for a "big business" and this year was named the returning champion.
Now in its third year, the Business is Blooming program expanded the boundaries by more than doubling the geographic area of businesses who could participate to include businesses east of Alpine Road. A team of 10 judges visited the exterior grounds of selected businesses to be considered for this designation. Out of more than 40 businesses, seven were chosen in select categories: Small Business 5 Forks Market (6565 Lexus Dr, Rockford, IL 61108); Big Business Mercyhealth Javon Bea Hospital - Riverside (8201 E Riverside Blvd, Rockford, IL 61107); Restaurant Outdoor Dining Franchesco’s Ristorante (7128 Spring Creek Rd, Rockford, IL 61114) AND The Olympic Tavern (2327 N Main St, Rockford, IL 61103); Best of State Street The Standard (214 E State St, Rockford, IL 61104); Returning Champion UIC Health Sciences Campus - Rockford (1601 Parkview Ave, Rockford, IL 61107); Hidden Gem City Body Shop (301 N Madison St., Rockford, IL 61107). This year, there were two Special Recognition winners as well; Rockford Veteran’s Circle with “Biggest Blooms,” and Deli Italia with “Unique Blooms” (507 E State St, Rockford, IL 61104).
Judging is based on the following criteria (if applicable):
- Well-maintained landscaping (trimmed and weed-free)
- No litter around entire perimeter (entrance, fence line, tree line, sidewalk, parking lot)
- Well-maintained façade (graffiti-free, no discoloration, no crumbling/chipping)
- Well-maintained lighting, benches, signage, fences (no burnt out bulbs, well-lit, clean seating, visible signs)
- Neat and tidy walkways and parking lot (no weeds, clearly painted, even surface)
- Clean windows (no smudges or cracks)
- Attractiveness (flowers, plants, fresh paint)
- Inviting signage (name, social media, menus, deals, hours)
- Creative exterior (colors, design, signage, displays, patio, exterior music)
- Accessibility (wheelchair ramp, stairs with railing, safe entrance)
Thanks to the Physical Plant staff, landscaping contractor, Garden Club and everyone on campus who takes pride in keeping the campus clean and beautiful!