Who is required to test? (updated September 23, 2022)
COVID-19 testing is recommended for all students, staff and faculty at least once per week. Those who are not fully vaccinated and employees who have received an exemption must complete a COVID-19 saliva test per Student Health and Wellness or Employee Health Services instructions.
COVID-19 Saliva Testing Information for Employees and Students
Free COVID-19 saliva testing is provided for students, staff and faculty only. The test is a PCR-based test that can be used for surveillance or diagnostic testing for COVID-19.
If you registered for a SHIELD Illinois account before September 26, 2022, you can still use that account.
If you did not register for a SHIELD Illinois COVID-19 saliva testing account before September 26, 2022, you must register for an account:
- Go to Website: Portal.shieldillinois.com
- Use link: Sign up for an account (under the Password box)
- Use appropriate Agency code: Flames22 for location “UICOMR” with your uic.edu email account.
- Fill in all information and click “Submit.”
- You will receive a text message for verification, so have your phone handy.
Anyone who needs help or has problems with registration should call SHIELD’s 24/7 patient hotline: 217-265-6059.
Where do I go?
Beginning Monday, September 26, a new process for SHIELD saliva testing for UIC Health Sciences Campus-Rockford students, staff and faculty begins.
Submitting samples will be completely self-service, with pre-assembled supply kits and a lockbox for depositing your completed sample. The self-service station, including instructions, will remain at the kiosk in the Commons on the second floor of the East Building.
Timing will be as follows:
- Lockbox available Mondays 8 a.m.-Fridays 2 p.m.
- Results available 24-48 hours after daily deadline of 2 p.m.
- Submit your sample Monday by 2 p.m. –>
Result window is Wednesday by 2 p.m.
- Submit your sample Monday after 2 p.m. –>
Result window is Thursday by 2 p.m.
- No mouth activity for one hour prior to sampling. Do not eat, drink (including water), brush your teeth, use mouthwash, chew gum, use tobacco, etc.
- Before sampling, wipe off any chapstick or lipstick
- Please bring a pen!
Why these changes?
With SHIELD community testing moving off campus to a new location and due to low internal tester volume, we’re no longer able to offer a fully staffed testing site.
May I take a kit and sample at my convenience?
Yes! Some guidance:
- Remember to also take a funnel or straw
- Do not subject your sample to temperature extremes, either hot or cold, and keep it out of sunlight
- Submit your sample within 24 hours of sampling
May I test at the community site?
Also yes! If you’re testing under guidance from Student Health and Wellness or Employee Health Services, please coordinate with them as directed.
The new community site is:
Providence Baptist Church
2209 Clifton Ave
Rockford, IL 61102
Hours are Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday, and Fridays 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Thursdays 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
How do I get my test results?
Test results will be posted in the SHIELD Illinois patient portal after the lab results are completed, usually within 24 to 48 hours. Note: this is not the UI Health patient portal used for previous saliva tests.
If you have questions, especially if you’re a first-time tester who would like guidance:
Please email Shiow-Jiau Yung at [email protected], including a phone number where she can call you if necessary.
FDA Fact Sheet for Patients