Thank you for your interest in becoming a part of the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford team where our mission is to educate, innovate and serve. Our team includes physicians, administrators, researchers, nurses, administrative support, medical business office staff, maintenance workers, medical assistants and others, all committed to providing exceptional education for our students, an environment where research flourishes and excellent medical care for our patients.
Faculty: employees that teach medical, pharmacy, nursing, public health, and/or medical biotechnology students
Civil Service: employees that provide services such as nursing, administrative support, laboratory, maintenance, accounting and billing/coding
Extra Help: temporary Civil Service employees
Standardized Patients: a person trained to portray the role of a patient, thereby allowing medical students to practice physical exams, history taking and communication skills in the medical field. This experience gives students an opportunity to learn and to be evaluated on learned skills in a simulated clinical environment.
Follow application link on online posting
Apply online at jobs.uic.edu; questions should be referred to UIC Help Desk at (312) 413-4848. Human Resources will review your qualifications and, if qualified, contact you to schedule an examination. Civil Service exams are administered on Tuesday mornings or Thursday afternoons.
* Please note that your qualifications for Civil Service examinations are determined based on application materials. Applications containing employment information from your first job through your current position, a detailed resume, copy of your college/university transcripts, and DD214, if applicable, must be received in Human Resources by the closing date of the job. Incomplete applications will not be considered. After the application deadline, the names of the top three candidates will be referred to the department for interviews.
Apply online at jobs.uic.edu; questions should be referred to UIC Help Desk at (312) 413-4848. E-mail [email protected] to express interest in a particular extra help job.
The Office of Medical Education and Evaluation at the College of Medicine Rockford hires Extra Help employees who work with medical students to complete clinical skills assessments. We are recruiting individuals who can communicate effectively and be available for varied daytime hours to be Standardized Patients. For more information and to ensure your application is directed appropriately, contact the office at [email protected].
Standardized Patient Job Description
Director of Research (Internal Search)
Job Summary: The Director of Research will coordinate the development and conduct of research at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford. The Director will assist new and established faculty gain federal, state, and/or private funding for research programs that complement and extend research themes established for the College.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, promote, review, monitor and assure adherence to policies governing the conduct of basic, clinical, educational and health system research across the College of Medicine campus at Rockford (UICOM-R).
- Assist in the execution of operational policies for the Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional Committee on Biosafety (ICB), and the Biologic Research Lab Committee (BRC) in conjunction with appropriate institutional bylaws and guidelines.
- Ensure compliance of research projects with the IRB, IBC, BRC and HIPAA guidelines.
- Review and recommend approval of proposals for bridge funding.
- Nominate faculty for institutional research awards and help identify faculty applicants to represent the College of Medicine when competitions for fellowships and awards are restricted to a single application.
- Serve as chair of the James Scholar Committee and ex officio on the UICOM-R Research Committee, and the Heads, Chairs and Deans’ Committee.
- Promote the development and conduct of medical student resident and faculty research and research training vis-a-vis, research.
- Serve as a liaison to the Health Policy and Social Science Research (HPSSR) division in the Department and provide expertise for HPSSR studies.
- Serve as the point of contact between the College of Medicine Rockford and other administrative offices.
- Maintain databases on campus research programs.
- Promote collaborative research among research groups within the College of Medicine Rockford and hospital affiliates.
- Promote collaboration between UICOM-R and other COM campuses, and UIC colleges, in part by facilitating Rockford’s role in more expansive research efforts such as projects and centers.
- Facilitate technology transfer and commercialization of Intellectual property across the College of Medicine.
- Represent the College of Medicine Rockford at local, state, and national events that impact on biomedical and health-related research.
- Collect and disseminate (publicize) information regarding faculty, staff, and student research presentation and publications.
Responsible for the organization and conduct of Research Day at Rockford.
- Provide annual report to the regional Dean to include all research presentations, publications and grants for the Rockford campus.
- Participate in developing strategic plans for UICOM-R research.
- Work with the staff on research at the National Center for Rural Health Professions (NCRHP) to advance research in health policy as related to rural medicine and health disparities.
Job Knowledge, Skills, Education, Experience:
MD, PhD, DO with five (5) or more years’ experience beyond postgraduate training, preferably in academic medicine or research.
• Experience managing a research enterprise
• Basic/clinical, translational and health systems research experience
• Grant writing experience
• Experience working with federal/state/private funding agencies
• Knowledge of IRB, IBC, BRC, and other related research regulations (i.e. HIPAA)
• Successful research career
• Familiarity with research organizational structures
To apply for this position, send cover letter and resume/CV to Mayra Ernster at [email protected] by November 30.
For a complete listing of current Rockford vacancies click here.