Masters of Science Degree in Medical Biotechnology
Connect with us on Facebook!
The department of biomedical sciences at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford offers a Master of Science degree program in medical biotechnology that focuses on the scientific and skill set basis of biotechnology as applied in support of medicine. The program concentrates on biological processes, technologies and skill sets used in the research and development of pharmaceutical products, vaccines and devices for the medical industry.
Students in this interdisciplinary program will receive in-depth training in modern biotechnology and learn a range of transferable research, analytical communications and business skills. Students will also gain an appreciation of the role of biotechnology in society and the regulatory and ethical framework in which it operates.
Drawing upon the excellent resources of the University of Illinois, the program faculty includes members of the faculty of the College of Medicine and the College of Pharmacy at Rockford, experienced industrial scientists, lawyers and practicing medical doctors. This array offers a unique depth of training and practical experience to the program. Courses are offered at the Rockford campus. Because of the small class sizes and flexibility, some courses may be scheduled to accommodate the mutual convenience of both faculty and students.
Upon a successful completion of the program, students will gain:
- Advanced knowledge in the areas of cellular and molecular biology, protein biochemistry and immunology necessary for professional practice in the field of medical biotechnology.
- Understanding of the use and application of relevant analytical techniques within the field of medical biotechnology.
- Training with the planning, execution and communication skills necessary to successfully conduct research and development in medical biotechnology.
- An understanding of basic project management and product development practices along with the regulatory structures that impact R&D in biotechnology.
- Enhanced skills in effective interpersonal and professional communication, both oral and written.
- Increased awareness of professional, ethical and social responsibilities with relationship to medical biotechnology.