The Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center at the UIC Health Sciences Campus-Rockford
The Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center offers a variety of equipment and classes.
Together, the UIC Health Sciences Campus-Rockford and the YMCA of Rock River Valley provide resources for students, staff and faculty to maintain an active, healthy lifestyle while pursuing their education or career. Through the Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center, these resources are free to all students, staff and faculty of the College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy and College of Nursing in Rockford. The center is located just off the main campus entrance in Room A146.
Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center receives generous donation of additional equipment
Through the generous support of the Glenn Netto family, many new items are available for use in the Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center. Check out the following new items:
- Cable attachments including a Monster Grip Triangle and Lat Bar
- Curl bar with 2.5, 5, and 10-pound weights
- Jump ropes
- Kettlebells ranging from 26 to 53 pounds
- Landmine attachment
- Squat stand complete with a new barbell and 260-pound weight set.
Owen Mallery, M2, and Ryan Shriver, M2, worked with the team from the YMCA to produce an orientation video of some of the equipment on campus along with gym etiquette.
What does the Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center offer?
- Video classes on demand
- Strength training with free weights, weight benches and a dual-stack functional trainer
- Fitness necessities, including kettle bells, body bars, medicine and balance balls, yoga mats and foam roller
- Fully integrated cardio zone with treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and rowers
- Lockers are available to use in the Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center located by the free weights.
- In order to accommodate a large population, the lockers are available just for the time that you are using the fitness center. You must provide your own lock.
- Two showers are available for use across from the restrooms and to the right of the study rooms down the hall from the fitness center.
- Both single-stall restrooms have a shower in each, for your convenience.
- Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to midnight
- Saturday 8 a.m. to midnight
- Sunday 10 a.m. to midnight.
What do I have to do to gain access?
To Gain Access with your key card: Go to the front desk anytime M-F from 8 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. to ask for a Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center Waiver Form or you can download the Glenn Netto Health And Wellness Waiver Form.
Read the Waiver: Before filling out the waiver, read it in its entirety. When you sign the document, you agree to everything in the document and agree to be bound by its terms.
Filling Out Waiver: Regardless of whether you are faculty, staff or a student – check of the box that indicates to which college you are connected: COM (College of Medicine), CON (College of Nursing) or COP (College of Pharmacy).
Fill out the information in its entirety and then bring it back to the front desk when the receptionist is there.
Turning in Waiver: When the waiver is complete, turn it into the front desk M-F from 8 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. when the receptionist is there. If you turn it in at or right up to 5 p.m., it will not be processed until the next business day.
What Happens Next: Once the receptionist has the form, they will email Physical Plant to activate your key card or I-Card and send the form to the Office of the Regional Dean for their records.
Activation Time: Activation time varies from a few hours to a couple of days depending on the time it takes to process the information. Once your key card is activated, you can scan and enter the fitness facility just by swiping your badge over the card reader.
The Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center is to be accessed only by current students, faculty and staff. This includes all three colleges: College of Medicine, College of Nursing and College of Pharmacy.
- Only those that sign the Waiver Form and have them approved may access and use the facility.
- Friends and family of students, faculty or staff are not permitted access to the facility. Exceptions are not made.
- Standardized Patients cannot use the fitness center and extra help employees that have not been approved to use the facility by Human Resources are not permitted to use the fitness center at this time.
Is There Someone Available to Show Me How to Use the Equipment?
- The Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center uses equipment from the YMCA where individual orientations can be set up through the YMCA by appointment only.
- The orientation appointment is to show you how to use the equipment properly, proper weight room etiquette and how to clean the equipment.
If you would like to set up an appointment for an individual orientation, send an email to Gina Karvelis at the YMCA at [email protected].
Still Have Questions? Lose Something You Left Behind?
Stop by the Front Desk, M-F from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Dial (815) 395-0600 to speak with the receptionist.
Glenn D. Netto, MD, was a 1980 graduate of the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford who went on to be named Assistant Professor of Medicine at the College of Medicine Rockford, teaching second-, third- and fourth-year medical students in history taking, physical diagnosis and clinical medicine. He was promoted to Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine in 1997, and he was named Interim Chairman of the Internal Medicine Department in 2007. He passed away in 2014 and his family provided funding for the fitness center that now bears his name: The Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center.