Welcome to the UIC Health Sciences Campus-Rockford
The UIC Health Sciences Campus-Rockford at 1601 Parkview Ave. in Rockford, Ill., is nestled in a 20-acre, park-like setting in a neighborhood just east of the Rock River.
The UIC Health Sciences Campus-Rockford is home to the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford, the University of Illinois Chicago College of Nursing-Rockford Regional Campus, and the University of Illinois College of Pharmacy at Rockford and their respective programs, centers and research. The Crawford Library of the Health Sciences-Rockford on the campus serves students, resident physicians, staff and faculty and is open to the public.
The campus has five buildings that are connected – the North Building, South Building, East Building, Maintenance Building and the A Building – plus a Medical Student Activity Center called “The Green House.” The main entrance and reception area are located on the east side at the newest A Building.
The campus itself dates back to 1916 when it became home to the Rockford Municipal Tuberculosis Sanitarium (North Building). The sanitarium expanded in 1945 through the addition of the Art-Deco-style South Building. As better treatments for the respiratory illness were developed, the need for a TB sanitarium waned. The founders of the College of Medicine Rockford determined that the Parkview Ave. campus was a good site for a new community-based medical school and it was purchased by the University of Illinois in 1971 and, in 1972, the first medical students came to campus after spending their first year at the Urbana campus. The second oldest building on campus, dating back to 1927, is the cottage near the North Building that is the Medical Student Activity Center, known to many as the “Green House,” where medical students since the first class have used the space for studying, events and recreational activities.
Campus overview and history Heading link
The campus has five buildings that are connected, including:
- North Building
- South Building
- East Building
- Maintenance Building
- The A Building
We also have a Medical Student Activity Center. The main entrance and reception area are located on the east side of the A Building.
The campus itself dates back to 1916 when it became home to the Rockford Municipal Tuberculosis Sanitarium (North Building). The sanitarium expanded in 1945 through the addition of the Art-Deco-style South Building. As better TB treatments were developed, the need for a sanitarium waned. The founders of the College of Medicine Rockford determined that the Parkview Ave. campus was a good site for a new community-based medical school. The University of Illinois purchased the property in 1971. In 1972, the first medical students came to campus.
Facilities Heading link
Building information Heading link
The six-story East Building was added in 1974, providing laboratory space for research, offices and classroom space. In 2017, this building underwent extensive remodeling to accommodate a Gross Anatomy Laboratory, Team-Based Learning Classroom, Virtual Anatomy Laboratory and enhancements to the Commons.
The South Building is home to the College of Nursing, which came to the campus in 1991 offering a Master of Science in Nursing and Doctor of Nursing Practice programs and is located on the third floor. The South Building is also home to the College of Medicine’s Office of the Dean, Office of Human Resources, Office of Financial Affairs, the Central Dining Room and other offices and conference rooms.
The North Building is home to Student Health and Wellness and Employee Health Services, which are both accessed through the entrance with the red awning. The Division of Health Research and Evaluation, several faculty offices and a research lab are also in the North Building.
- The Office of Research
- College of Pharmacy faculty offices
- A research lab
- A student lunge
- Several other faculty offices
In 2009, a 58,000-square-foot, Silver Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certified addition was added to the campus. The A Building provides space for the College of Pharmacy program that started enrolling students in 2010, as well as the College of Medicine’s National Center for Rural Health Professions, Office of Student Affairs, Office of Medical Education and Evaluation, lecture halls, study rooms and event spaces.
The A Building houses the College of Pharmacy and the Crawford Library of Health Sciences. It also provides space for several other College of Medicine programs and offices, including:
- The National Center for Rural Health Professions
- The Office of Student Affairs
- The Office of Medical Education
- Lecture halls, study rooms and event spaces
- The Glenn Netto Health and Wellness Center
- Simulation Center
- Clinical Skills Center
- Computer-Based Testing Center
Campus Tours Heading link
Because we’re a small campus with limited staff, campus tours are by appointment only. Please call (815) 395-0600 to schedule a campus tour.
Land acknowlegement Heading link
The University of Illinois Health Sciences Campus-Rockford acknowledges Indigenous People as the traditional stewards of the land, and the enduring relationship that exists between them and their traditional territories. We honor the land of the Kiikaapoi (Kickapoo) tribe. We acknowledge the painful history of genocide and forced occupation of their territory, we honor and respect the many diverse indigenous people connected to this land for which we gather, educate and learn, and we recognize our responsibilities to the peoples of this land. We strive to address the history of this land so that it guides our work in the present and future.