If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health emergency with an immediate threat to safety, call 911.
“I want to end my life. I have a plan, and I don’t think I can stop myself”
- Call 911
- Go to the nearest Hospital Emergency Room. One or more healthcare professionals will ask you several questions, and you may be admitted to stay in the hospital and receive treatment until you are feeling better. Many insurance policies will cover necessary emergency services obtained in most hospital emergency rooms. Going to the ER can be scary, but try your best to let the doctors and nurses take care of you.
“I think I am having a mental health crisis or I know someone else who may be in crisis”
- If you believe you are in crisis – please present to the nearest Emergency Room for prompt evaluation and treatment. Consider that you may be asked to stay in the hospital for further evaluation.
- During business hours (M/T/TH, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Wed 8 a.m. – 7 p.m., Fri 8 a.m. – Noon), call UIC Student Health and Wellness Rockford at 815-395-5870. You may be scheduled for a crisis consultation or connected to a counselor for an immediate assessment as needed or sent to the nearest Emergency Room.
- You can also consider contacting us after business hours at our answering service by calling 779-696-2050 to speak with our Director Noel Pycior MS, FNP-BC. She will be there to listen and help create a plan for the care you need in order to keep you safe.
- If you are currently under the care of a mental health professional: Follow the plan that you and your provider have established for managing crises and contact your provider in the manner as agreed upon.
Crisis Hotline Resources
- You can call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 800-273-8255. They also has an online chat that is available all day, every day.
- Dial 988 to reach the 988 Suicide & Crisis hotline.
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital Outpatient Psychiatry Hotline 312-926-8100.
- The Crisis Text Line lets you text your feelings to someone who cares. Text HOME to 741741 and a trained crisis counselor will text back.
- NAMI National Alliance on Mental Illness support/contact information: Call the NAMI Helpline at 800-950-6264 M-F, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., ET Or in a crisis, text “NAMI” to 741741 for 24/7, confidential, free crisis counseling.
- Suicide Prevention Resources →
Domestic Violence Resources
- If you are in immediate danger, call 911.
- Non-emergency number for the Rockford Police department 815-966-2900. Rockford Police department Domestic Violence Unit 779-500-6555
- You can connect with Remedies: Are you experiencing domestic violence? Do you feel unsafe in your relationship? Remedies Renewing Lives is here to help! No one deserves to be abused. We are here for you. Trained Remedies advocates are available 24-hours per day at: 815-962-6102
- You can also call Safe Horizon at 866-621-HOPE (4673) or the Illinois Domestic Violence Help Line at 877-863-6338 (or 1-877-863-6339 TTY) any time. Safe Horizon also offers an online chat from 9am-6pm, Monday through Friday.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
- You can also connect with the Campus Advocacy Network during business hours at 312- 413-8206 or email them at [email protected].
Sexual Assault Resources
- Contact an advocate at Rockford Sexual Assault Counseling Inc. 815-636-9811. Trained volunteers provide 24-hour counseling for victims of sexual assault and abuse in Winnebago, Boone and Ogle Counties.
- All counselors and volunteers have received special training in working with victims and their families. Crisis Intervention is a key component of Rockford Sexual Assault Counseling. A 24 Hour crisis hotline, which is maintained by master’s level therapists is available to those that sexual assault has impacted. Our medical advocacy crisis intervention services are also available 24 hours. Trained medical advocates respond to hospital ER staff in order to provide support to those in need. Crisis Intervention is a key component of Rockford Sexual Assault Counseling.
- The YWCA also offers a 24/7 Rape Crisis Hotline help to those who have been affected by sexual assault. You can call them at 888-293-2080 (Chicago Metro Area), 630-971-3927 (DuPage County), or 708-748-5672 (South Suburbs).
- The National Sexual Assault Hotline is available 24/7 by calling 800-656-HOPE (4673). They also offer an online chat and an app