Summer Medical Research Training (SMaRT) Program
This summer training program aims at offering specialized medical research training to current college students. This program begins in the first or second week of June.
The students will complete a two-month intensive training program in medical research at the basic research laboratories of the University of Illinois Rockford campus. During this training, the students are expected to gain significant hands-on experience in planning and successful execution of a medical research project, critically analyze scientific data and present information to a group of judges. The selected student will work closely with various research faculties and staff at the College of Medicine on cutting-edge techniques and its application in biomedical research. After the program, students present their scientific data as a poster and an oral presentation at the College’s SMaRT Scientific Forum.
SMaRT is a highly competitive program. Students are selected based on their academic merit, a personal interview, and their interest in pursuing a career in medical science or a related field.
The Summer Science Forum is held at the beginning of August. Students will present their experience through oral presentations and scientific posters.
The program provides a stipend and research fellowship to the selected students. Funding for the 2020 SMaRT program is generously provided by the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford and Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Please attached the following items when submitting your application:
- Double-spaced 1000-word essay on what you hope to gain from this program and how it will influence your future.
- Resume including activities, memberships, honors/awards, work experience, and/or previous lab experience.
- Transcripts submitted electronically or through mail, postmarked by March 20, 2020.
- Three (3) signed letters of references with addresses. References may email them to [email protected].
- Application and supporting documents must be emailed to Janet Stull Snow at [email protected] using subject line:
“SMART – YOUR NAME”
- For any transcript and references that will be mailed, please mail to:
Janet Stull Snow
University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford
Department of Biomedical Sciences
1601 Parkview Avenue
Rockford, IL 61107
There is NO cost for this program. You will be paid a stipend provided by the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford.
June 8–August 7, 2020
Application Deadline: March 20, 2020
SMaRT Internship Orientation: June 8, 2020
Selected students will begin their internship with orientation and training. Orientation begins at 9:00 a.m.
SMaRT Science Forum: August 7, 2020
Students will present their experience through oral presentations and scientific posters.