This summer training program aims at offering specialized medical research training to current college students. This program begins in the first or second week of June.
The students will complete a two-month intensive training program in medical research at the basic research laboratories of the University of Illinois Rockford campus. During this training, the students are expected to gain significant hands-on experience in planning and successful execution of a medical research project, critically analyze scientific data and present information to a group of judges. The selected student will work closely with various research faculties and staff at the College of Medicine on cutting-edge techniques and its application in biomedical research. After the program, students present their scientific data as a poster and an oral presentation at the College’s SMaRT Scientific Forum.
SMaRT is a highly competitive program. Students are selected based on their academic merit, a personal interview, and their interest in pursuing a career in medical science or a related field.
The Summer Science Forum is held at the beginning of August. Students will present their experience through oral presentations and scientific posters.
The program provides a stipend and research fellowship to the selected students. Funding for the SMaRT program is generously provided by the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford and Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Please attached the following items when submitting your application:
- Double-spaced 1000-word essay on what you hope to gain from this program and how it will influence your future.
- Resume including activities, memberships, honors/awards, work experience, and/or previous lab experience.
- Transcripts submitted electronically by March 30, 2021. These do not need to be originals.
- Three (3) signed letters of references are needed and they should include contact information for the reference. Email references directly to Janet Stull Snow at [email protected]
- Application and supporting documents must be emailed to Janet Stull Snow at [email protected] using subject line:
“SMART – YOUR NAME”
- Transcripts do not need to be originals. References can be emailed directly to [email protected]** Electronic submission only.
There is NO cost for this program. You will be paid a stipend provided by the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford.
June 7–August 6, 2021
Application Deadline: March 30, 2021
Mail signed and completed application to Janet Stull Snow at [email protected]. Recommendation letters from teachers should be sent directly from the teacher to the same email.
Student Information Night: April 15, 2021
This meeting is to learn about the program and the specific research projects offered. Therefore, if the State is still using masks and six-foot distancing, it will be held virtually, via Zoom or Webex, depending on the COVID infection rate and the University policy. This information will come to you in a separate email with the link.
SMaRT Internship Orientation: June 7, 2021
Selected students will begin their paid internship with orientation and training. Orientation begins at 9:00 a.m. This may be handled differently, again, depending on the COVID situation and the University policy.
SMaRT Science Forum: August 6, 2021
Students will present their experience through oral presentations and scientific posters. This may change depending on the COVID infection rate and the University policy. Again, the Forum may be conducted either via Zoom or Webex. We won’t know until the time approaches.