Master of Science in Medical Biotechnology Program
The Department of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, Rockford offers the Master of Science in Medical Biotechnology Program (MBT Program), which concentrates on biological processes, technologies and skill sets used in the research and development of pharmaceutical products, vaccines and devices for the medical industry.
The Master of Science in Medical Biotechnology Program is a two-year lab/research-based program training you to be technically competent and ready to work in industry/academia or to use as a stepping stone to PhD, MD, and DDS degree program. The MBT program is located in Rockford, Illinois, at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford. We do not offer online classes at this time and the program is only administered at the Rockford campus. We work hard to make classes available for those who are working or commuting by offering most of our core classes in the evenings and offering electives on Saturdays.
The general outline of the program is one year of coursework and one year of a research project or 600 hours of internship. The program is flexible to allow you to tailor the program to your interests and end goals. We offer many electives that allow you to make the program fit your future endeavors and work with you to find research project supervisors that fit your interests, even if they are not a part of our campus.
Students in this interdisciplinary program will receive in-depth training in modern biotechnology and learn a range of transferable research, analytical, communication and business skills. Drawing upon the excellent resources of the UIC Health Sciences Campus-Rockford, the program faculty includes members of the faculty of the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford, UIC College of Pharmacy at Rockford, Northern Illinois University, and Rockford University as well as experienced local industrial scientists (ThermoFisher Scientific). This array offers a unique depth of training and practical experience to the program.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will gain:
- Advanced knowledge in the areas of cellular and molecular biology, protein biochemistry and immunology necessary for professional practice in the field of medical biotechnology.
- Understanding of the use and application of relevant analytical techniques within the field of medical biotechnology.
- Training with the planning, execution and communication skills necessary to successfully conduct research and development in medical biotechnology.
- An understanding of basic project management and product development practices along with the regulatory structures that impact R&D in biotechnology.
- Enhanced skills in effective interpersonal and professional communication, both oral and written.
- Increased awareness of professional, ethical and social responsibilities with relationship to medical biotechnology.