Admissions Information and Requirements
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements (Submitted online application & $70 application fee (non-refundable) or applicable waiver), applicants must meet the following admissions requirements:
- Baccalaureate Degree – A baccalaureate degree or its equivalent in a science- or engineering-related field from an accredited college or university will be required, except in special cases. Prior academic work should include college mathematics, general biology and biochemistry, general and organic chemistry, or the equivalent engineering courses.
- Generally qualified candidates may be required by the department to remove specific course work deficiencies by completing selected undergraduate courses prior to matriculation or graduation.
- Grade Point Average
- Undergraduate: At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study. Exceptions to this requirement may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Postbaccalaureate: The student’s grade point average for any postbaccalaureate course work must be 3.00/4.00 or greater.
- Transcripts Required – Transcripts are required from all institutions where the applicant earned the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of credit toward the baccalaureate degree and from all institutions where postbaccalaureate work has been done.
- Tests Required – GRE General Test is required. Results should be less than two years old. The GRE requirement may be waived on a case-by-case basis for applicants with sufficient work experience (nominally five years or more) in biotechnology or other science-related fields. MCAT, DAT, and PCAT scores may be accepted as alternative accomplishment testing information.
- Minimum English Competency Test Scores – All persons who do not have English as their native language must submit the results of one of the three language skills tests:
- TOEFL – The TOEFL score cannot be more than two years old. UIC’s Institutional Code is 1851. Internet Based test (iBT)–total score of 80 or greater, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21; 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (New Paper-Based—after August 2018); 550 (Institutional Testing Paper-Based—prior to August 2018) Note: Exemptions to the TOEFL requirement are as stated in the UIC Graduate College Application Instructions, page 4. OR,
- IELTS – 5 average Band score, with subscores of at least 6.0 (Band 6: Competent user)in all subcategories (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking), OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation – Three required. If applicant is employed, one of the letters of reference must come from the employer confirming employer commitment to student participation. The other letters should be from former professors, teachers, or persons who can refer the candidate based on personal experience with the candidate’s professional competence.
- Personal Statement – Required statement of career goals.
Applicants to the MBT Program are evaluated on the basis of grades, recommendation letters, GRE scores and other relevant qualifications. Under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature may be considered for admission. Please contact us for more information.
The MBT Program accepts applications for Fall and Spring semesters. General deadlines are below.
|November 1st||May 15th|
|July 15th||February 15th|
|November 15th||August 1st|